Search

Ginger Archaeology

Tag

Wirksworth

Oakhurst House & Shining Cliff Woods

Located just above the village of Ambergate in the Derbyshire remains the skeletal remains of Oakhurst House. Constructed in 1848 by Francis Hurt; a industrialist who owned the wire works located below. The House and most of the former wireworks have now fallen into disrepair, leaving behind the hollow shell of its former self.


Surrounding the hall we find Shining Cliff Woods, a place riddled with old lead mining shafts that have been reclaimed by the forest. A Truly beautiful surreal place, with an amazing natural pool. GA

Advertisements

Wirksworth Lost Tunnels

Underneath Wirksworth; Derbyshire, is a lost Subterranean network of Tunnels built to bring minerals from quarries down to the mainline station.

 

Dale Quarry Tunnel

Rway%20010The largest of the tunnels was opened from Dale Quarry, situated 1.1 km west of the station yard. Stone was initially conveyed by horse and cart, but plans for a tramway proved unpopular as it would have passed through the town, however they appear to have been granted. Instead A standard gauge tunnel was built under the town, linking the quarry and the station yard and was opened on 17 November 1877.

The tunnel took only 18 months to complete and was opened in 1877, two years later however the quarry was forced into liquidation as a result of the cost of the tunnel.

The quarry continued in use under a new owner but eventually closing down in the early 1920s. Later it was reopened and worked until 1968. The tunnel was still in use at that time, but the stone was carried to the station yard on lorries, rather than the original trains.

 

Baileycroft Quarry Tunnel

Rway%20012

Baileycroft Quarry is first mentioned in 1871, when land was leased with permission to extract 8400 tons of limestone; The start of a major change in the local area where industry shifted from Lead mining to Limestone Quarrying.

In 1877 an agreement was made to make a tramway tunnel from the quarry to the railway near the Baptist Cemetery. Two short tunnels connected by a cutting was constructed. These ran a 2 foot narrow-gauge track.

The quarry was closed in 1906, and the site was being used as a refuse tip in 1922. It is now the site of Harrison Drive, constructed in an effort to improve traffic flow through the town. Part of the quarry face was removed and the quarry filled in with dust from Dale Quarry including most of the tunnel.

The Maps Bellow Show the extent of the Tunnels, Dale being in Red and Baileycroft in Blue. GA

 

 

Images From.

http://www.rocassoc.org/open/items/05/08ecclesb.htm

Left Map is from Google Earth and the Right is a 1870-1906 Map

 

 

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑